All Special education placements are determined by the Committee on Special Education, the Subcommittee on Special Education, and the Committee on Preschool Special Education.
These committees, in conjunction with parents, and teachers, help create Individual Education Plans (IEPs) for each school-age or preschooler with a disability on an annual basis.
The IEPs include information about the unique learning needs of the student, such as learning rate, levels of social and physical development and students management needs. The document also includes annual placement for academic, social and other areas for the student's school year. This will service as a curriculum plan of action and a source of evaluation for the student's progress during an entire school year.
The district provides a full range of special education services including:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational therapy and counseling
- Integrated co-teaching services
- Consultant teacher services
- Resource room services to provide supplemental instruction
- Transitional support services
- Home or hospital instruction
Post secondary and transition goals are:
- Increase the number of appropriate applications to Access VR.
- Improve the quality of applications to Access VR.
- Develop and improve services for students with disabilities while in high school by providing career exploration/development and self determination.
- Improve partnerships between Community Based Organizations and school.
Depew High School MTP Mission Statement
Our mission is to empower students with disabilities to understand and optimize their full potential. The goal of the Depew High School Transition team is to have students utilize the necessary skills for independent, productive and meaningful lives. These skills include but are not limited to:
Employability - Career and employment interests, Post-secondary education options, Vocational and/or technical training opportunities, Self-advocacy (articulate strengths and weaknesses), Links to adult agencies
Independent Living Skills: Healthy decision-making and personal care, Self-advocacy (articulate strengths and weaknesses), Money management, Community access and involvement and Links to adult agencies