April 15, 2021
We are very excited to be returning with all of our children in person at Cayuga Heights. A lot of planning and behind the scenes preparation has been taking place throughout the building. Teachers have been working diligently to transition to this model on Monday, April 19, 2021. There are a few key housekeeping items bulleted below that will help with this transition next week.
- Arrival- If you are driving your child(ren) to school, it is imperative that you follow the direction of the staff assigned in the parking lot. This will help us to expedite the unloading process. Students with last names A-L should arrive at 8:45am. Those with last names M-Z should arrive at 9:00 am. If your child(ren) is/are taking the bus, please be patient the first week as the driver is acclimating to possible additional students or routing changes. * If children have different last names, please use the last name of the youngest child for arrival.
- Breakfast/Lunch- Breakfast and lunch will be served each day in school. The older gymnasium has been converted into an additional cafeteria space to accommodate the required distancing measures. Some students will also eat breakfast in this space while others will eat in the classroom. This change for breakfast is necessary to comply with distancing requirements while eating.
- Daily Health Screening- Enclosed is a copy of the Daily Health Screening checklist to complete with each of your children at home before they come to school.
- Dismissal- Dismissal will now begin at 2:50pm. If you are transporting your child home and your last name is A-L we ask that you arrive at 2:50pm and follow the direction of the staff in the parking lot. Those with last names M-Z should arrive at 3:05pm. It is imperative that you do not arrive before your scheduled time. This will help us to expedite the dismissal process and avoid additional congestion in the parking lot. If you do not already have a pick up sticker, you will need to stop in the main office to register for one. If your child is taking the bus home, dismissal will also begin at 2:50pm. For some students, this may mean that they are being dropped off 15 minutes or more ahead of their normal time. Please make sure you are at the stop early all next week. This will give you a better idea of the new drop off time.
- Physical Education- Please have your child prepared to be outside on gym days. We will be taking the children out as much as possible. A sweatshirt/jacket may be needed on cooler mornings/days. Students will not be going out if it is raining or snowing (hopefully not at this point). Please also make sure that they have appropriate footwear.
- Playground- In order to make sure that every class has opportunity to be on the playground, classes will be assigned a time once per week. Your child’s teacher will provide you with updated information regarding their scheduled time. Teachers will still be able to take students to other outdoor spaces around the building throughout the week (e.g. athletic complex), as time permits.
- Random Pick-up- If you are picking up your child for an appointment or outside of our regular dismissal time, we ask that you arrive to sign out your child no later than 2:15pm. This is so we can avoid additional congestion at dismissal.
- State Testing- All students in grades 3-5 that are attending school in person will be taking the New York State Computer Based English Language Arts Assessment on Tuesday, April 20, 2021. This will be a one day test this year. The date is a change from previously disseminated information. The New York State Math Assessment for students in these grades will be given on Monday, May 3, 2021. The math assessment is also a one day test this year.
- Technology- Students should bring their device fully charged. Devices will be left at school unless the classroom teacher has a homework assignment that requires the computer. Charging cords should remain at home. If there is a need to transition to remote learning due to COVID positivity rates, we will make every effort to send the computers home with your child(ren).
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience as we transition back to a full building under unique circumstances and protocols. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to Mrs. Fatta or myself.