DEPEW MIDDLE SCHOOL COUNSELING CENTER
We're here for you!
Depew Middle School Profile:
Community: The village of Depew is located 5 miles east of Buffalo, New York. It has an approximate population of 16,600 residents and 1,857 families. The New York State Thruway exit is Depew #49.
School: Depew Middle School serves approximately 727 students in grades 5-8. The faculty consists of 74 teachers and 2.5 counselors. The school is accredited by the New York State Board of Regents.
A Middle School Counselor is...
- a New York State certified educator
- a school person who provides guidance to all student grades 5-8
- a resource person, coordinator, consultant, group facilitator and teacher
- a person who assists students, parents, teachers and administrators
The Role of the School Counselor is...
- To promote confidentiality
- Work with individuals and groups
- Help identify needs of students
- Encourage better inter-personal relationships
- Promote positive attitudes and choices
- Assist people in making use of community resources
- Review test results to provide information about abilities, needs, achievements and interests
- Coordinate referrals to outside agencies
- Facilitate small group discussion
- Participate in curriculum development
Middle School Services Are...
- Banana Splits (Children of Divorce)
- Friendship Skills
- Coping Skills
- Lunch Bunch Groups
- Study Skills Groups
- Conflict Resolutions Groups
- Peer mediation Training
- Test interpretation
- Individual Counseling
- Separation Anxiety/School Phobia
- Grief Counseling
- Children of Alcoholics
- Parent Workshops (Parent University)
- AIDS Awareness Program
- Red Ribbon Week Activities
Who Seeks Helps From Us?
- I am new here and I can't seem to make friends.
- I don't seem to be getting along with my parents.
- I am worried about my school work and I wonder if I will pass.
- I do not have a problem. I just want someone to listen to me.
- I am tired of being harassed by other students.
- Middle School Counselors work closely with classroom teachers and administrators to disseminate the School Counselor program.
- Academic Performance
- Adjustment Problems
- Child Abuse
- Communication Skills
- Effects of Divorce
- Grief Counseling